Thursday, October 06, 2005

Hive mind

I am considering having a party for my local female friends on November 6 or thereabouts. I sent out an e-mail today asking what the girls thought of the date. So far I've received responses from three people who (as far as I know) don't spend a lot of time together. Each one consisted of exactly two words: "I'm down."

Linguistic evolution in action, or what? I mean, I know what "I'm down" means and everything, and I'd probably even say it myself. But it seems like an unusual choice for three people to make without consulting with each other. I guess it's just some kind of meme. Five years ago when I first arrived in Athens, a subset of the townie population was using the word "nair" (or, sometimes, "buh-nair") to mean "that is so lame." It persisted for a while, then faded into relative obscurity.

Whatever. I'm down.

Anyhow, signs bode well for a Girl Fawkes' Day party. It has rained twice today. For all I know, it's still doing it. If we get enough rain to un-parch things a little bit, we'll be able to have a massive bonfire.

By the way, if any of my female readers are feeling the urge to visit Georgia, that might be a good time to do it...