Saturday, September 17, 2005

And now for something completely different

I'm reading the fashion supplement that came with the new Vanity Fair. Can I just say that if I were one of the people Gwen Stefani named as a style mentor, I'd sue for defamation?

On the other hand, some people have always gotten it. Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran looks sharper and more handsome than he did 20 years ago--and people who know how much of a fan I was back then will understand that that's a very high compliment. And his bandmate Andy Taylor looks really put-together despite his mullet hairstyle. He says he's taken to wearing suits every day as a tribute to a friend:

I knew Robert [Palmer] for 20 years before he died, and I never saw him go a day without a suit.

For some reason, I thought that was a really lovely sentiment. It choked me up.