Friday, August 12, 2005

Local Ohio produce



August is a good time to be a northeast Ohioan. Today Mom and I went to a really wonderful Mennonite farm just down the street called Catalpa Grove Farm. Then we dropped in at a bulk-foods and cheese shop, and finally stopped at the Sparkle market. Everything we bought was from Ohio, and almost all of it was from Northeastern Ohio.

My favorite thing I bought is the plums. They'll go in a clafoutis tomorrow morning. Anyone know what variety the plums might be?

I succumbed to my deepest Ohioan impulses when I got into town last night, inaugurating my stay with a REAL takeout pizza (as opposed to what passes for a pizza down south).

But lunch today was more virtuous--bread and cheese, cantaloupe and blueberries. Really vibrant flavors. Probably dinner will involve sweet corn and BLTs (with the tomatoes coming from Mom's back yard).

Back row, L to R: Milk, chicken breasts, noodles, sweet corn, cantaloupe.
Middle row: Eggs, cucumber, elderberry jelly, butter, sausage, maple syrup, potatoes, green beans.
Front row: Wheat bread, plums, blueberries, eggplant, Italian frying pepper, Swiss cheese, bacon.