Wednesday, September 06, 2006

OLS 11: Eggs!


How long have I been working on this "Eat Local" thing? More than a year now, right? Well, some things take time. I've been trying forever to get hold of some non-factory eggs around here, and I've finally done it--in the second-to-last week of One Local Summer, and probably a week or two before our own hens start laying. Better late than never, I say!

The eggs came from a friend of a friend in Lexington, Ga., who keeps Rhode Island Reds and Araucanas and absolutely dotes on them. I like knowing that.

The other thing that's happening right now is that the peppers in our garden are going completely crazy. We have pickled, dried, and frozen plenty of them. But the Italian frying peppers--some green, some red--are just begging to be eaten fresh. Begging, perhaps, to be combined with the very last two links of the Italian sausage we made in January.

Here's what I made:

ITALIAN FRITTATA

Italian frying peppers - our own (0 miles)
Eggs and garlic - Lexington, Ga. (25 miles)
Italian sausage - homemade from Dyal Farms pork, Cobbtown, Ga. (132 mi.)

STEWED EGGPLANT (actually leftover from previous night's dinner; this time I served it cold like a relish)

Eggplant, Sungold tomatoes, green beans, and basil - our own (0 miles)
Garlic - Lexington, Ga. (25 miles)
Vidalia onions - middle Georgia (about 125-150 miles)