Monday, January 15, 2007

It begins

I have planted the following in the newly-manured soil:

Teton hybrid spinach
Sweet onions
Cherry Belle radishes

Right now, we are trying to use up our stores of frozen, dried, and canned food before the new garden season gets in full swing. We have far too little of some things (salsa) and a tad too much of others (frozen corn).

Our remaining stores of fall apples are going soft at an alarming rate, so this morning I made an apple torte out of a thrift-store cookbook I'd never used before. It looked good on the page, but it wasn't worth repeating--or even mentioning, really. Eh. Does anyone have a recipe for apple quick bread? I remember there being a really good one in one of the Moosewood cookbooks--Enchanted Broccoli Forest, I think, which I used to have, but which seems to have disappeared.

Oh, and does anyone have any sun-dried tomato recipes they really love? I've never used sun-dried tomatoes much in the past, but now that we have our own gorgeous little tomato nuggets, I need knowledge.