Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Happy New Year!

How can it already be the 3rd?!

The s.o. and I had a really nice, quiet New Year's Eve, just the two of us, watching the ball drop on TV. We discussed our plans for the coming year and drank cava. And then on the 1st, we threw a little shindig for our friends, with Bloody Marys and blackeyed peas and greens and two roasts--ham and lamb.


It was really a great way to kick off what, by all appearances, is going to be a pretty good year. (I'm trying not to go into global warming, etc., here--so just indulge my optimism for a moment.)

Last year my New Year's resolutions were as follows:

1. Learn to knit really. Like, more than just scarves. I may ask some of you for help. You know who you are.

2. Get to know more about Atlanta, which, despite its proximity (1:20) is mostly a big black box to me. (It's not really the greatest city. Overall, it's extremely "eh." But the DeKalb Farmer's Market has improved our lives so much; surely it can't be the only thing. Stepsister just informed me that there is an Australian bakery I didn't know about. We will maybe meet there for tea sometime. It's a good start.)


Well, I had Liz's help getting started with #1 (thanks again, friend!), and then I took several classes at the local knitting store. I really turned a corner. I made all kinds of projects that I'm proud of. I'm gearing up to make my first grownup-sized sweater. I feel as though I've done really well!

I sort of followed through on #2, too, although not on purpose. I was in Atlanta for business several times, so I learned a little more about a couple of different neighborhoods. I found new eateries to go to, and I joined Costco. I still haven't been to that Australian bakery, though--d'oh!

So what are my resolutions for 2007?

1. Keep myself and the house a teensy bit more presentable (i.e., not covered in dog hair, straw, dust, grease, mud, etc.) so that I won't be mortified when friends drop by. Because the s.o. and I actually made some friends in our town in 2006, and they have started to, you know, drop by. It's a very happy turn of events.

2. Wear sunscreen. (I'm doing pretty well at this, but I want to shoot for 100 percent.)


Easy, right? Well, you'd think so. But then again, I still have this to contend with:


*sigh*