Saturday, February 19, 2005

A mighty fine day

Yes, I got my books from Amazon. At last. I bet the mail carrier isn't used to being greeted with "Oh, thank God!"

But the real reasons today is a mighty fine day are threefold. The first is that today we ate vegetables from our garden. How is this possible, you ask? Well, carrots are biennial, and I found several stragglers underground when I turned over the soil for a bed of radishes. There were about two handfuls of stunted little carrots (the soil there was, admittedly, too clayey for them to reach their potential, which is why I'm moving them to a loamier part of the garden this season). I scrubbed them, threw them in the food processor with a cored Rome apple, and stirred the resulting shreds together with golden raisins, plain yogurt, a bit of Miracle Whip, and a dash of lemon juice. Voila! Carrot-apple-raisin slaw.

The second reason is that I was gardening in the first place. Planted today:

another variety of lettuce
sugar snap peas
beets
turnips
kale
spinach
radishes

So naturally I am feeling rather accomplished, and quite sore, especially in my lower back.

My final reason for regarding today as extra special is that the s.o. built a little set of stairs for Cairo to climb onto the bed with. Our sweet three-legged Cairo can't make it on his own, but he desperately wants to. So we decided to give him a leg up (so to speak). He took to it pretty quickly and is rather proud of himself. The stairs are not only useful, but they are gorgeous--sturdy wooden steps with wainscoting on the sides and heart-pine risers. Just one of the many reasons why I love the s.o. so very much.