Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Well, it was a strawberry pie



I got to this pie a little too late to take a picture of it. It's one of my favorite desserts in the entire world. Maybe my very favorite one.

Technically I guess it's a tart, since it consists of raw fruit with a cooked glaze poured over it. But I like it with a plain unsweetened shortening crust, which maybe makes it more of a pie after all.

Here's how easy it is: You make a single pie crust and bake it. When it's done and it has cooled a little, slice a quart or more of raw strawberries into it.

Meanwhile, take a heaping cup of fruit (usually more raw sliced strawberries, but in this case I used unsweetened cooked rhubarb), mash it well, and add it to a pan that contains a mixture of 1 c. sugar and 3 Tbs. cornstarch. Add half a cup of water and cook, stirring, until the glaze becomes clear and thick. If you used strawberries in the glaze, stir in a squeeze of lemon juice.

Now pour the glaze over the pie shell full of strawberries and chill it in the fridge. Done.