Friday, June 03, 2005

Practical matters

I awoke this morning and went walking in the garden, only to discover a disgusting profusion of proto-cucumber-beetle maggots munching on the already holey leaves of the eggplants. Damn--I must have missed a batch of eggs. Well, to business, then. Time for damage control.

It is amazing how much you can accomplish with a wood shim and a baggie. The wood shim is to scrape off bugs, maggots, and eggs. The baggie is to catch everything so it isn't in your garden anymore. My personal preference is to collect all the nasties in the baggie and then use the shim (or my foot) to squish it all against a rock. It's times like these when I wish I had chickens like Maggie does. They would have really enjoyed all the icky stuff and the life cycle, as they say, would have been complete.

Other than that, all is well out there. No more deer raids so far, which either means my deterrents are working or the deer have a lot of other tasty things to eat because of the rain.

BRUNCH-RELATED NEWS FLASH:

Dogs like crepes. From now on Silver and Cairo get to split the Ugly Crepe (there's always one in every batch, while you're still tweaking the thickness of the batter and the hotness of the pan).