Saturday, September 04, 2004

Portrait of a Saturday

Today we were supposed to go to the local flea market and rid ourselves of a bunch of junk we've cleared out. That meant getting up at 6:45 a.m. and driving about 40 minutes. But at 5:30 (!) I was awakened by the s.o., who complained that he hadn't slept yet and refused to go.

After the argument that ensued (Me: "Suck it up and go!" Him: "I can't. I don't have it in me." Me: "Well, you are for goddamn sure going to move all of those boxes back out of my car by yourself, then!"), I was totally, irrevocably agitated and awake. So I got up, arranged myself on the couch, and watched one of our Netflix, Girl with a Pearl Earring. I loved it, and it was just the thing to relax me so that afterwards I could snuggle into the couch and make up for the sleep I'd lost.

I pried myself off the couch at 12:30 p.m. or so and made a batch of buckwheat waffles (from a mix, so don't expect any recipes). I squeezed some fresh orange juice and made a pot of coffee. I ate my brunch while watching some complete crap on the E! network and reading the new issue of Southern Living.

The rest of my day isn't shaping up to be quite so leisurely. I've just finished wood-puttying a couple of holes in the upstairs half-bath floor and priming the rest of the room's floor planks. I plan to do a couple hours' worth of drywall finishing upstairs. Then it'll be time to dust-mop the floors, do a load of dishes, shower up, and get ready for the evening.

The s.o. is having a friend over, and we're all going to get some barbecue. Then my presence is required in town to bartend in the aftermath of the year's first college football game. Our team is winning so far. It will be a mob scene. I should make a stack of money and arrive back home at about 5 a.m.

So essentially, I'm just sitting here blogging in order to procrastinate.