Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Colorful


I'm just putting up this picture because I think purple-top turnips are so beautiful.

What I'm really here to say is:

We have had all kinds of egg-cellent occurrences lately. (Sorry, I couldn't help it.) Two days ago we accumulated enough small homegrown eggs to have scrambled eggs--with homemade sausage and bacon, of course--for dinner. The scrambled eggs were absolutely technicolor yellow. Obviously the hens' varied diet agrees with them.

Yesterday's landmark was TWO EGGS IN ONE DAY. Sweet! And they were completely different shades of tan, which makes me pretty sure we've got multiple breeds laying now. The only hen I've caught in the act was a Barred Rock; beyond that, it's all conjecture.

Today I went into the henhouse to find the biggest egg yet, which was under the fierce protection of our teeny little Black Japanese Bantam hen. She was not pleased when I took it.

"C'mon, pretty girl, it's not even yours," I wheedled.

"Craaaaaaa!" she screeched.

"It's half your size," I reasoned.

"Craaaaaaa!"

So I guess the guidebooks are correct when they say bantams are good broody hens. Nice job, little gal--you are doing what you do best. But you will have to wait.