Thursday, February 15, 2007

A dinner for sweethearts



I seem to have gotten away from publishing foodie things lately, so I decided to take a photo of the delicious, rosy little dinner that the s.o. and I had last night. Clockwise from the top, there is:

• A bowl of homemade cranberry applesauce, brought out from the freezer. I made it in the fall, during Georgia apple season--I think after our first trip to Ellijay.

• A bottle of Cava.

• A pork tenderloin (from our half-pig) brushed with University of Georgia Entomology Department honey and crusted with cracked mustard seed, kosher salt, and pepper, then seared in a cast-iron pan.

• Boiled rutabaga (from our friends down the road) with butter and salt and pepper.

• A tart of fresh Florida strawberries.

There is a lot going on here. The s.o. has dug the holes for the new fruit trees which should be arriving from Trees of Antiquity at any moment. He has also built a new potato bed. Meanwhile, I have planted arugula and radishes and peas and tendergreen mustard and bok choy. I have also started some seeds in flats: sorrel, mint, Greek oregano, nettle, purslane, mache. Some of my earlier plantings, such as the peas I put in a couple of weeks ago, seem to have been eaten by some kind of animal. Par for the course, I guess.

The farmers' market is humming along pretty well. J and I had a strategy meeting two nights ago, and I am working on the legal hoo-hah that must be ironed out. This week I placed public service announcements in a few newspapers and radio stations, and this morning when the local paper came out, I had a call from a woman in town who would like to sell vegetables and peaches. She was really nice, and I am shocked and appalled that I haven't met her before. Whew! So now I hope I can put to bed my recurring, insomnia-causing anxieties about being the only vegetable vendor...