Friday, February 16, 2007

Whose desk is this, and why is it on fire?

In the last couple of days, almost every person I know has called me. The only people who haven't are people I ought to call. Yikes! So much to do.

I am sad to report that one of yesterday's phone calls was to tell me that this weekend's Knit-In has been cancelled. Apparently very few of the knitters who encouraged the yarn store to host the event actually signed up. Very poor follow-through on their part.

I am desperate to make the Calorimetry headwrap that simply everyone is making, but I am looking for the perfect yarn. I've already swatched almost everything in my stash, and nothing has the character I want. It's a simple thing, so it needs to be cool yarn. Any ideas? It must be cheap.

In other news, I've made a batch of banana jam in anticipation of the coming farmers' market season. I've been out of commission, canning-wise, because during the recent brining of various pork products, my already dodgy enameled canning pot sprang a leak and had to be thrown out. (Oops! Salt + exposed unstainless steel = hole!) But luckily, our friend D has a gorgeous 22-qt. Mirro pressure canner that she is prepared to part with for surprisingly little money. I gave it a test run today--unpressurized, for now--and liked it a LOT. So the cash is on its way, D!

This weekend is the time to start seedlings for our summer vegetables. It is probably a good thing I will not be spending 15 hours at the yarn store.

UPDATE:

Literally 15 minutes after I hit "Publish" on this post, the mail carrier showed up at our house with a box from Jenny. I opened it, and lo and behold, it was full of gorgeous skeins of wool--all kinds! She had decided she was unlikely to use it, and sent it to me. Wow--what a friend, eh? Not only is she generous, but she reads my mind!

So now I will be swatching some brown wool/mohair and some flecked oatmeal Irish superwash wool to see if either one is suitable for Calorimetry. The yarn is all GORGEOUS. There is a heart-melting skein of bulky Lopi that has "mittens" written all over it. *sigh*