Sunday, July 09, 2006

Hello, kitty


Here's an in-freezer action shot of my adorable new Hello Kitty* popsicle maker. It was $4-something at Junkman's. I'd been looking for a popsicle maker anyway, and to me (and you know how rarely I say this), it's not the kind of thing you want to buy used. So I got a little crazy and snapped it up.

What's inside is a blackberry real-fruit popsicle mix: a simple syrup stirred with pureed blackberries (I don't sieve out the seeds, since that's where all the fiber is) and fresh lemon juice.

I have been very busy finding creative things to do with our produce. I made a tasty zucchini spice cake (from the Moosewood Restaurant Book of Desserts) that has so far served as the s.o.'s late-night snack and my breakfast (hey! it has vegetables, fruits, and nuts in it!).

Today there's a lot of work to be done. The second plantings of cucumbers and tomatoes have to be done before I leave on a brief vacation to Ohio and Toronto next week...

----------
* I know it smacks of infantilism, but I also have a Hello Kitty toaster that toasts little kitty faces onto your toast. The s.o. is not really very fond of it. When I use it, he turns the kitty face down so he doesn't have to see it while he's eating.