Thursday, July 20, 2006

What I've been up to

I'm home now, completely drained and exhausted in that way that means "I have had a perfect vacation." I got to see my brother in Columbus, then spent several days with the family in northeastern Ohio (including a parade, a baptism, and a visit from some lovely Northern Irish relatives that I hadn't even suspected would be in attendance), and then took a wildly impractical but immensely satisfying two-day trip to Toronto!

Yes, I made a run for the border. And they not only let me into Canada, but they let me back into the States again afterward. That in itself is a mark of success.

But what's even better is that I got to spend time with three of my dearest music-geek friends (including this guy, who was the best host imaginable) and then ... are you ready for this? ... got to meet Alda over lunch at the Queen Mother Café! What are the odds that Alda's trip to Toronto would coincide with mine? I don't know, but I do know that she is just as wonderful as her writing suggests.

The trip was a blur. My friends and I mostly drank and talked and made silly inside jokes. We went shopping at Romni Wools, Soma Chocolatemaker, and about eight sari shops. We hung out at a couple of really pleasing bars with horrible names but gorgeous, breezy patios. We had delicious and atmospheric dinners at restaurants both Vietnamese and Indian.

As much fun as I had, it's wonderful to be back home with the s.o. and the dogs and the poultry. My desk is totally on fire with urgent work, but that's to be expected. The only problem is, when am I supposed to catch up on my sleep?