Wednesday, May 26, 2004

Ooh, baby, baby, it's a wild world

Saw one of these this morning while walking the dogs. Nearly tripped over it, in fact. It was laid out straight, about three and a half feet long, with its tail in the asparagus bed. It looked a little odd or lumpy and it wasn't moving, so I wondered if there was something wrong with it. But its head looked as though it was paying attention, so I didn't want to mess with it.

I took the dogs in and then came back out to investigate. It still hadn't moved, so I tossed a couple small pebbles near it. I had just decided it was dead when I saw its tongue flicker. I guess it was just doing the morning-torpor thing, or it had just eaten. I think this is the same kind of snake I saw "running" in front of the mower last year.

Also, while I was looking up the snake I discovered what species our lizards are. Aren't they cute?