Saturday, August 28, 2004

Spoiled stars

I'm really pissed off at the U.S. Olympic men's basketball team. They won the bronze medal and they stood there sulking like babies, acting as if it was the worst disgrace in the world.

I think it's embarrassing, for them and for the country. Didn't anyone ever teach them any manners? We were not entitled to the gold medal. Nobody ever promised to give it to us just because we're the most basketball-centric country. There was no guarantee that we would be allowed to kick the asses of all the well-rehearsed, well-coordinated teams in the world with our motley, defense-poor, under-rehearsed assemblage of second-tier NBA stars.

I'm not embarrassed that they got third place. I'm embarrassed at how they acted at the medal ceremony. A hangdog, grudging look is not appropriate. It's an honor just to play at the Olympics (which someone should mention to all the NBA players who declined to represent us!). It's an honor to win any medal. And considering who we sent--and how they played--the United States should be grateful to have won any men's basketball medal at all.

End of rant. I'm sorry, I just had to get it off my chest because I thought their behavior was so rude.