Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Announcement

We get a lot of magazines delivered to our house. The other day I got one with a cover on it that said "Your subscription to Southern Living IS ENDING!" And it quite literally brought tears to my eyes, because, see, the s.o. and I have been doing a lot of talking lately, and we've decided to move.

Yesterday my trusty real estate agent--the one who sold me this property two years ago, when it was uninhabitable and covered in kudzu--came to visit. We did a lot of catching up. She marveled at the changes and happily accepted a jar of pear-citrus marmalade made from the pears that grow on the property. And before she left, she stuck a "For Sale" sign in the lawn.

The s.o. used to be in a touring rock band, but now he'd like to get a 9-to-5 job. There's nothing around here, though, so we started thinking about other places we really like. Portland, Oregon came up almost immediately. It's his favorite city in the U.S., and I have family and friends nearby (not to mention a mother who would like to buy a retirement property there). It's beautiful and surrounded by nature (hiking! snowboarding! the ocean!). So we decided that we'll pick up and move to the west coast. We're not sure when it'll happen, because in this area it often takes months and months to sell a house. But the process has begun.

So I ask you: What should I do about this blog? Shall I just recast it to reflect Pacific-rim urban living? I certainly don't think I'll run out of things to say anytime soon.

In the meantime, I'll continue to enjoy the things I love about this place.