Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Early Thanksgiving



The s.o. and I had Thanksgiving dinner today, since he'll be traveling with his dad tomorrow through Saturday.

I suspect I'll be getting a lot of work done in his absence. Either that, or I'll be drowning my sorrows in leftover stuffing and potatoes!

I'll tell you what I'm really thankful for*:

Today I had to drive into town in the pouring rain, and when I was on one of Athens's major streets, a driver in front of me stopped short for no reason at a green light. I braked about eight feet back from her, peered at her quizzically when she still failed to proceed, and briefly honked my horn.

She got out of the car and approached my window. "Did you just hit me?" she demanded.

"No!" I responded, shocked.**

"Oh," she said. "I thought you might have, since I had to stop so quickly."

"I'm not even close to your car. I braked in plenty of time."

"Mmm. Okay."

And then she and her passenger peered at their spotless bumper and got back in their car and drove away.

Was she trying to scam me for insurance money? Or was she maybe taking a break from her medication? It was scary, and I'm really grateful that she didn't do anything even more bizarre.

___

* Aside from the obvious, of course. I am not one to take my wonderful family, friends, and animal dependents for granted.

**Alternate response that went through my head and was, luckily, caught in the filter before it emerged from my mouth:

"Why? Should I?"