Friday, February 24, 2006

Best buds

Can you see it? Amid the blur, I mean? It's one of the first tiny heads of purple sprouting broccoli!

This represents the very first broccoli I have ever successfully grown. And it's a victory over conventional wisdom, too. Seed packets tell you to start PSB in the spring for harvest the following spring; this was planted only last fall! Maybe the Georgia climate is just different enough from the English one to give me a little edge.

There's other exciting floral news around the farm, too: One of my lilacs--which we had noticed seems to have come out of shock and really started to thrive--has set a bunch of flower heads. Maybe I can have lilacs here after all!

I'm not sure which of the two plants to be more excited about. All I know is, I'm excited.