Thursday, February 02, 2006

Goalward

Some of you may recall that one of my New Year's resolutions was to become a real knitter, one who could make more than stockinette-stitch scarves. Liz gave me a major, major boost in this department by sending me some gorgeous homespun yarn and a pattern for a simple hat. I've been intermittently knitting away at that (when my work hasn't intruded--holy cow, has it been a busy couple of weeks!), and so far it looks amazingly hatlike.

But now I expect to finish the hat with a little more alacrity, because there's something else knitty looming on the horizon: I have signed up for a class taught by Anita DeRouen at Main Street Yarns & Fibers. Provided it isn't too advanced for me (which is a distinct possibility, although I was assured otherwise by the proprietor of the store), the class will kill two birds with one stone. First, it will teach me the Magic Loop technique, a very cool and helpful-looking bit of witchcraft which a friend recently demonstrated to me. And second, it will teach me how to make socks.

The class will start mid-month, which means I MUST and WILL finish the hat by then! There is nothing that gets a journalist moving better than a hard deadline...