Thursday, May 04, 2006

Bad luck streak in dancing school

The vet visit did not go well. Cordele and Ila got so scared when the vet and his assistants tried to catch them for their vaccinations that they rammed big sheep-shaped holes in the wire fence of the pen. Cordele was actually bleeding from the top of her head. Then, after the vet finished his job and left, we re-spooked them by mistake. They vaulted the electric fence and disappeared into the forest.

Have I mentioned that our property backs up to a 3,000-acre hunting preserve, which backs up to the Oconee National Forest?

So we are kind of in an ill mood. Okay, REALLY in an ill mood. Okay, VASTLY, VASTLY in an ill mood. This week is turning into a chapter from a James Herriot book, only without any of the funny, heartwarming parts.

We are exhausted and cranky and muddy and briar-pricked from searching.

On the bright side--and trust me when I say that I had to look hard for a bright side, but hey! that's my Pollyanna nature--I got to talk to a lot of nice people while I was out canvassing the neighborhood.

So if the sheep come back tonight looking for corn, great. If Animal Control finds them, great. If not, maybe we will have some decent fencing and some common sense accumulated by the time we get sheep again. Rookie mistakes suck. And they are expensive.

Crap crap crap crap crap crap crap.