Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Fruit

It is the last day of the Eat Local Challenge, and it is the first day that I am eating our own homegrown blueberries at breakfast. There are only a couple of them that are ripe. The rest are resolutely green. Still, our blueberry bushes are weeks earlier than the ones at most of the area's pick-your-owns.

This week has been blissfully fruity. We have eaten tiny, early plums, peaches, and nectarines from south Georgia, thanks to one of the local guys who resells State Farmer's Market produce out of the back of his truck. Also, I have stolen and consumed still more boysenberries from the pasture across the street. And now this!

Until this week, there hasn't been much fruit available. We picked strawberries one time, but when we tried to go back for more, they had run out. And anyway, as much as I love strawberries, I get tired of them if I eat too many in the same week. Which is a problem, because they have been the only option. Both the s.o. and I have been ready to beat someone up for a piece of fruit...especially a banana.

Now, fruit abounds.

We might still go buy some organic bananas.