Wednesday, March 09, 2005

The bikini is in the bag

There is no milk in the house. We're leaving on our trip to Florida tomorrow morning, and we are trying to "run down" the food in the fridge.

This morning: Oatmeal with brown sugar and diced apple. Coffee with no milk. Things are getting lean and hungry around here. I usually have about a quarter-cup of skim milk in each of my two cups of coffee (not that I'm a creature of habit or anything), and I miss it a lot. Not enough to use powdered milk or to open a whole can of evaporated/condensed milk, though.

Last night I made EmptyTheFridge Lo Mein. Leftover chicken, tofu, the last green and white onions, the last half of a bunch of cilantro, the dregs of a bag of frozen peas, the remainder of an already-opened can of commercial chicken broth. By the time I piled all the leftovers into it, it was huge, so now we have leftovers of lo mein. Oops.

For tonight's dinner, I get to figure out what to do with two sweet potatoes, a carton of yogurt, and half a head of radicchio. (?!)

I don't expect to be blogging much, if at all, for the next week. We intend to find a library at some point and check in, but by then I will probably have 30,000 e-mails to deal with, and no doubt all of them will be RED HOT EMERGENCIES. So it's safe to assume you won't see much of me until the 17th or 18th.

We will be spending a couple of days in Kissimmee/Orlando, then moving to a beachfront campsite in St. Pete for the remainder of the week. There will be jai alai, manatees, museums, botanical gardens, sponge divers, thrift shopping, kitsch, seafood, Cuban food, Greek food, and of course a lot of spring training baseball. I'll post some photos when I get back.