Wednesday, March 09, 2005

One more before I go

This is what happened to the sweet potatoes and cauliflower (not the radicchio; it went into a salad, and there was an accident when the bottom of the salad dressing cruet blew out in mid-shake, but I think you can imagine the scene as well as I could describe it in words, so I'll leave it at that). It is delicious and we're freezing the rest of it so we can enjoy it again when we get home. Please forgive the lack of exact measurements and instructions; I did it by taste and added things as I thought of them. If you do this, you'll want to start by sauteing the onions in the oil, then throw in the sweet potato, garlic, and spices, and keep sauteing. Then add most of the rest of the ingredients, simmer until tender, and stir in the cilantro near the end.

AFRICAN-STYLE LEFTOVERS SOUP
1/2 c. chopped onion and/or shallot
1 Tbs. peanut oil
1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
a few cloves garlic, minced
ginger (fresh or powdered)
berbere*
peri peri**
cumin
a 14-oz. can of diced tomatoes, with juice
half a head of cauliflower, in florets
a couple handfuls of shredded cabbage
a handful of unsalted roasted peanuts, chopped
a teaspoon or two of peanut butter
salt and pepper to taste
a little water if needed
1/4 c. chopped cilantro

-----
* I was going to call this a West African soup, which it more or less resembled, what with the peanuts and sweet potatoes and all. But then I went and threw an Ethiopian spice mixture into it and mangled my geography. Ah, well.

** And then I threw in a South African red pepper powder to further confound matters.