Saturday, March 26, 2005

Turning the corner

Last night was magical. The moon was so full and bright that it was like daylight outside when I took the dogs for their last walk of the night. An airplane, lights blipping, traced a long vapor trail between the moon and Saturn. The air was warm and moist. A whippoorwill called out.

Today is the very first day (Florida trip included) that I have worn shorts and a tank top this year. 79 and sunny, light breeze. The pear tree next to the house is starting to bloom now, and I saw a few violets in the lawn--the pale-purple kind with dark "whiskers."

It's supposed to rain for a couple of days starting tomorrow, so I'm out there planting the hot-weather crops in the garden. Squash, cucumbers, tomatoes, tomatilloes, and also peppers and okra if I have the time and energy.

I love this time of year. I can see all the work and weeds and bugs and sweltering weather in the future, but it's not quite real yet. Right now it's just a fantasyland where everything is full of potential.

P.S. Gracie has learned to sit! By the time she is adopted, she will be a real treasure.